?

Log in

No account? Create an account
And the LATEST near-death experience - The Fucking Bluebird of Goddamn Happiness [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Zoethe

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

And the LATEST near-death experience [Jul. 17th, 2004|06:19 am]
Zoethe
[Current Mood |crankycranky]

My allergies are movng toward the "everything" category. Thursday evening at Kat and Eric's I plucked a hazelnut out of the bowl and ate it.

Almost immediately my face began itching. Within a couple minutes my throat felt restricted and I had trouble swallowing. The inside of my mouth felt raw, and my breathing got raspy.

One.

Hazelnut.

I was describing these symptoms earlier this morning and Melissa, who is very allergic to nuts, just kept smiling and nodding. Classic symptoms. They were beaten back by a double dose of Benadryl, but I have never had a reaction to any nut before.

It's frustrating to be allergic to the whole damned world.
LinkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: brujah
2004-07-17 10:30 am (UTC)
The part I find freaky in this is that wickedshadow has a severe peanut allergy, yet, he can tolerate hazelnuts. He can't eat anything nutty, no pecans, almonds, walnuts, etc. Not even peas, because they're technically the same family.

I always threaten him with peanuts or peanut butter/oil, but the truth is, if he did that whole anaphylactic shock, I'd probably shit twinkies.

But. He can tolerate hazelnuts, or rather hazelnut flavored things: i.g. The crap in my cup, presently.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: lunarennui
2004-07-17 10:44 am (UTC)
it is indeed SO frustrating to be allergic to pretty much everything. i'm so sorry you have to deal with it. is it not enough that i and my loved ones suffer!?!? *shakes fist at sky*
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: zoethe
2004-07-17 10:59 am (UTC)
"KAHN!!!!"

(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: kellirose1313
2004-07-17 10:56 am (UTC)
*singing* She's got the whole world on her list, she's got the whole world on her list, she's got the whole world on her allergy list, and it really sucks big time.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: haggis_bagpipes
2004-07-17 01:58 pm (UTC)
Once! I was hospitalised because I'd had sticking plasters on my knees for half an hour or so, causing said knees to swell up, turn yellow, and hurt like only swollen yellow knees can.
In hospital, I had a little red tag around my wrist which said who I was and what was wrong with me. I was allergic to it.
They marked my knees' allergic areas with black marker pen. I was allergic to that pen.

When I came out, my Mum put me through about four different types of hypoallergenic plaster, all of which I was allergic to. Eventually we settled on Micropore, which is harder to find than it used to be.
Ohh, and I seemed to be allergic to summer holidays: everytime I went on holiday, my face would swell up with eczema and I'd start to resemble someone with a swollen and ugly face.

So I know how frustrating it is to be allergic to everything in the whole damn world.

Oh! One more thing: I wasn't allergic to this stuff they have in bubble gum, but I was 'intolerant' of it: after chewing this stuff for a few minutes, the next day I'd have a tongue so sensetive and numb I'd be barely able to taste anything else I put in my mouth.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: zoethe
2004-07-17 02:10 pm (UTC)
Wow. I feel lucky, in comparison.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: bbwoof
2004-07-17 02:52 pm (UTC)
It's frustrating to be allergic to the whole damned world.

I can relate to that!

I once asked my mother what color was the sky on the planet where I was born. Without missing a beat, the woman who had raised me in Los Angeles County said, "Orange."
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: i_descend
2004-07-17 05:29 pm (UTC)
I watched as my best friend came with in seconds of dying due to a pine nut allergy. He took one bite bruchetta with pesto on it, and almost died. That is one of the scariest things I can imagine. That simply eating could kill you.

I know how you feel about doctors, cuz today has made that clear ;), but you really might want to get allergy testing done. Just to be safe. And, seriously, you should have a medic alert bracelet to let people know about the allergies. It could save your life.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: zoethe
2004-07-17 05:37 pm (UTC)
They are all food allergies, but you may have a point.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: batshua
2004-07-18 05:29 am (UTC)
As I'm sure everyone has told you, go to an allergist and get tested for everything. Should take about four days of visits.

Buy epipens and carry benadryl.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: zoethe
2004-07-18 05:47 pm (UTC)
First, I don't have time, and second, they are in the process of changing.

But I do have benadryl. Bought a massive bottle of it the ther day.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: batshua
2004-07-18 05:51 pm (UTC)
Well, be careful.

Go to an allergist when you can. Find time. I don't want to lose you 'cause some nut put nuts in your food.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: zoethe
2004-07-19 04:39 am (UTC)
Ate an almond today without any problems. So it may just be hazelnuts.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: batshua
2004-07-19 04:41 am (UTC)
I still say stock some epipens.

The only bad Zoethe is a dead Zoethe, and we don't want that, do we?

(Or, conversely, the only good Zoethe is a live Zoethe, and we like live Zoethes.)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: zoethe
2004-07-19 04:47 am (UTC)
I'm fond of live myself. I need to get some.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: batshua
2004-07-19 04:50 am (UTC)
Some epipens.

Yeah, for a second there, I was wondering what kind of some you needed.

Yes, get pens. Learn how to use them. Teach other people how to use them.

And above all, don't panic!
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: random123
2004-07-18 05:47 am (UTC)
There is, supposedly, a shellfish allergy in my mother's family.

As a teenager, when we still had Ponderosa restaurants here in Canada, my father would frequently take us there for dinner during our monthly visitations, and I'd have the steak and shrimp. No problems.

I didn't eat shrimp again for a long time, but then when I had started into my 20's, I went out to lunch with a friend and had shrimp, and then went back home.

Within about 30 minutes of having eaten that shrimp I founf myself sitting on the floor of the bathroom, my arms wrapped around the toilet, writhing in pain, begging God to kill me now.

My mother immediately came rushing over to the bathroom asking what I'd eaten, so I told her. The she says, "There's a shellfish allergy in the family. Didn't you know that?"

So, umm, odds are that I just got a bad plate of shrimp, but I've never wanted to take the chance again, and it's not been enough for me to boher with formal testing.

I do know that I'm sensitive to some nuts. Almond slivers, for example, will give me a migraine, but I *love* marzipan (which has to be at least 25% almonds). So I'm wierd.

When my son Noah was born we were told to avoid fish and nuts for a while. His birthday is November 11th. At the beginning of October, just a month shy of two years old, his pediatrician said that it was probably safe to try him on peanuts. So, that day Vic made him a peanut butter sandwich. He licked at the peanut butter once, and then didn't want the sandwich. Fair enough.

The next day, we were at my mother's for Thanksgiving, and Vic was eating Reese Peanut Butter Cups. Noah walked over and wanted a bite, so she let him. Half an hour later he started having an anaphalactic reaction, and he and I got to go for a ride to the hospital in the ambulance while Vic drove the car, and every year we got to spend $300 on epipens, one for the school to keep, one for the babysitter, and one that travels with him 24/7 in his backpack with his asthma medicine.

Four years later, he's still testing extremely positive and his allergist has given up hope that he'll ever outgrow it.

And we've *still* not gotten around to trying him with fish.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: zoethe
2004-07-18 05:51 pm (UTC)
My kids have shown no sign of having inherited any of my allergies - their dad has none - so I am counting myslf very lucky.

Bummer about your son. I am still fine with peanuts, for which I am grateful.

(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
From: random123
2004-07-18 07:06 pm (UTC)
Peanut allergies take all the fun out of being a kid.

No PB&J, no PB and banana... :-(


At least as adults we're used to dealing with disappointments.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)