|Random post-operative thoughts
||[Jan. 21st, 2003|03:33 am]
1. Intubation is just as bad as they say it is.
2. The oxygen smells like plastic and antiseptic--disgusting.
3. Intravenous percodan is vastly superior to oral percoset.
4. I was not one of the lucky people whose block lasts well past 12 hours.
5. Coughing after intubation can result in surprise vomiting--I was literally confused about where That all came from.
6. The weirdest part of the block was that my ear was asleep--felt very strange.
7. When I have a Grinch "stuck now and then for a moment or two" reaction to having my arm trapped, not even I can talk me out of the panicky need to get free from the sling.
8. I was way too ambitious and independent. If I'd stayed in the hospital I would still be getting the Good Drugs.
Oh dear! Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks much. I keep reminding myself that it's only gonna get better from here....
2. Really? i don't recall it bothering me...might've been the nosepluggy thing. Vastly uncomfortable, I think.
5. Bloody hell.
6. Heh. I don't like my ears feeling off either--drives me nuts.
7. *HUG* :(
8. YES. Tried to warn you--but you also wouldn't be the amazing you without it. I am sure you'll make it. Just REST. Maybe call your Dr. and get better meds? Whining for post op meds is ok whining, IMHO. :)
9. Love you and want you to get better. Please take care!
*leaves you a lavender rose.*
Doing better, meds-wise now. More aggressive. Lying down is hard, though - not getting much sleep.
2003-01-21 07:00 am (UTC)
Nope, didn't cheat at all. Wasn't until we got home, after they had given me crackers and soda. I just coughed and *whoops* there it was. Apparently very common, when your trachea has been raped. Believe me, I am paranoid enough about anesthesia that, despite the midnight cutoff, I didn't eat anything after 6:30 and had a last small sip of water at 11.
Will do attorney tomorrow.
Didn't hear from you this morning. Thank you for sympathy though.
*hugs* I'm glad you've made it through; I hope you have *some* drugs!!!
Yeah, but not enough. I did go to class tonight, though. Yeah, me.