what kind of pipes do you have? Lighting can totally conduct through metal plumbing (Copper as you well know is an excellent conductor)
A friend of mine in Moab (Utah) had lighting strike on or near his house. It shot through one side and out the other killing nothing but his computer.
I had lighting strike my apartment in Puyallup (here in Washington) and kill my answering machine
Copper. I'm not taking chances, believe me.
You're not crazy...
of course, that is coming from me ;)
Oh, I'm crazy. Just not this time!
I haven't actually seen that one!
Was that a new episode???!
I watched that one as well. It was interesting.
Wow, your family must be the origin of all those amazing tales we hear and grow to disbelieve! :) I like believing them better. It makes life (and death) more interesting.
This was, like, 1914 or so. Wiring has definitely improved. But yeah, pretty much.
Having been struck by lightning twice (thankfully it wasn't direct contact), I also have a healthy respect for storms :)
Really?! Twice? Wow, scary!!
I keep waiting to win the lottery someday with my odds...
We just had lightning hit one of the trees in the backyard Monday night and bring down a large limb. Blasted it right off the tree. Good thing it was at the back edge of the lot! Neat scortch marks on the tree, too.
Holy cow! That's scary!
It just started hailing here. No relaxing bath for me tonight.
Growing up in a mobile home gives one a respectful view of wind storms and tornadoes.
Holy crap! It would make me give up knitting too (which I won't do, but still)!
Great gramma crocheted. I never saw her knit.
What a terrible but interesting piece of family history.
I worked with a guy in Austin who was hit by lightning. Nice guy, but missing a few brain cells.
Yes, it's one of those family legends that make life interesting.
I wonder if the brain cell effect was caused by the strike or already there!
I heard he was normal before the accident.
He was actually standing next to a metal roof that covered a front porch. The lightning hit the roof and then traveled to the poor guy.
Yowch. I hope never to have to learn what that's like.
some fucking dumbass of a lifeguard told my brother that it was still safe to swim since it wasnt RAINING just thunder in the distance. then lightning hit the water. um, no. that was the FIRST time i discovered that i could, indeed, make a male over a foot taller than i was, cringe in fear.
i'm with you. no water usage at *all* when it thunders. no bath, no shower, no washing dishes or clothing. and sit back from the windows.
Glad your brother was okay!
It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. There was a huge flash of light, and a large streak of light ran the length of the pool and popped out the other end. Just amazing to see. No one was hurt (for which I was truly grateful) but the lifeguard got a taste of my inner valkyrie. He was a senior when I was a freshman. And he stepped aside for me in the hall. Apparently I scared him. ;)
*returns same* its us little mousy ones ya gotta watch out for. ;)
My grandmother used to tell of being at her cottage and seeing a 'ball' of lightning go right past her iron bedstead and across the floor. She was terrified to move for hours!
Ball lightning bounced through my Uncle Slim's house and grounded into the kitchen sink, so yeah, that's scary stuff.
I don't KNOW what you mean, but I do know that you need to be careful, just from common knowledge, and living in Louisiana - especially in the house where we lived before my Daddy passed away. The bathroom in that house was awful - RIGHT outside. That's all the drains did, go outside. The overflow was literally just a hole to the outside (and why possums would easily get into our house!) So, yeah, lightning could easily strike that bathroom. Our small one now isn't great, but it's not like that and the main one is actually in the middle of our house, so I don't think about it as much . . . but still do at times and think "oh, it's raining! I gotta be careful!"
THANK YOU! I keep telling my guy that showering while thunderin' and lightnin' wasn't safe. He disagreed. But seeing as we live in an OLD building, I just know it won't be safe for me!