Log in

No account? Create an account
Pork buns and lotus balls - The Fucking Bluebird of Goddamn Happiness [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]

[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Pork buns and lotus balls [Jan. 18th, 2004|08:33 pm]
[Current Mood |geekygeeky]


Pudgy, lumpy sardines.

That's what we felt like at Li-Wah today. Even though I was unable to attend the annual SciFi Marathon (I hate being the responsible grownup sometimes), I did go to the annual Dim Sum post-mortem party. Ferrett and I got there first (me being compulsively punctual in a group of time-casual friends), and when the next cluster arrived Trish told them there would be about 13 of us. They sat us in a large round table and then we waited. And waited. And felt stupid. Then people began piling in.

When all was said and done, there were 15 of us crammed around a table really meant for about 10. Every chair was jammed tight against every other.

And...these are scifi geeks. Only two ectomorphs in the group. Round, jolly people, all jostling and giggling and stabbing at the food as it went by on the lazy susan.

Dim sum is great because you don't really order anything. The servers roll by with trays and the people on the outside edge point and ask and report what's available. Tiny dishes with only three items on each are delivered onto the lazy susan, and for the first few rounds woe be it for the guys at the far end of the rotation. ("Clockwise this time, dammit!") Eventually, though, everyone is tasting and reviewing and demanding a dish of the thing they liked best. It's more like a feeding frenzy than a dining experience, and in the midst of all this lively discussion of the movies seen the night before, other movies that come to mind, trailers for movies coming up, and other things science fiction and general geek related bouncing about with the food - a conversational feeding frenzy.

At the end of two hours, the bill was $200 with tip, but considering how many people we fed that was amazingly reasonable. No one had dared leave the table until then, and when someone finally got up it was like the pressure of being jammed in there released and everyone sort of popped away from the table all at once - a lot like stepping on a grape. We streamed back into the hallway of the mall and chatted for a few more minutes, saying goodbye to out-of-towners we don't see enough of, other in-town folk we wish we could see more often, and the good friends we see regularly.

And then I came home and put in more hours on the paper. And will spend all day tomorrow working on the paper. But it's nice to remember that when all this is done, there is a life out there waiting for me to have time to do more than just visit it now and then.