|My full deck
||[May. 3rd, 2010|06:21 pm]
The joke started a while back. I proclaimed that this birthday was special because, at 52, I would finally be playing with a full deck. theferrett, being the amazing husband that he is, was inspired by this remark to ask all of you to send me special cards to make my own personal deck. Thanks to his great idea, I received a wonderous group of wonderful cards from many of you. This is a list of the cards I received and the wonderful people who sent them. They are in no particular order, but instead literally in the order that I pull them out of the bag. When I'm done, the wonderfulness of these cards will become a collage of warm reminders of all you great and fabulous people and the love you sent me.
If I list your name but not your lj name, it's because you didn't list it and I am completely braindead from PenguiCon. Comment and I will edit!
1. etain sent me a lovely card of Bast. I have a Bast statue in my sewing room, and she is a great symbol of playfulness and creativity to me.
2. ebonypearl sent me a gorgeous fairy birthday card and a "Power of the Gods" card from the game Nodwick. Overkill and power!
3. puckathon and her girlfriend, Jo, gave me a gorgeous art nouveau card by Aubrey Beardsley on which Jo hand-decorated the edge. It's a dancer, and gorgeous.
4. jumpinfool made me a construction paper card claiming that a full deck is overrated - a great reminder!
5. 6. and 7. In addition to a homemade birthday card card with a cute puppy, katspaw156 and Eric gave me a "card" that was a ball of crepe that had to be unraveled. Fun things filled the "card" as a great reminder to play. Kat also gave me a tarot card: the Sun, which she hand-colored. Eric's contribution was a memory card, because after all computers are a little bit of my life....
8.and 9. mysterg gave me The Fool and undertheivy99 gave me The Sun (and a gift card to Half Price Books - thanks guys!). The Fool is a bit of a joke because the two of them came to my party two weeks early - got the Evite, but didn't check the date.
10. 11. and 12. brujah, stitched me a patchwork card - how very perfect. Her daughter Morgan made me a dragon card, and voldsom sent a WoW card, Crazy Igrand, a protector.
13. lyssabard made me a gorgeous card celebrating music, one of life's great joys.
14. forestmaster made me a fabulous "Fairy Godmother" card, describing the many qualities of being one, as well as a handmade birthday card.
15. xhollydayx collaged me a two-sided card portraying my many interests - and it was clear she pays attention! - and with cynic51 one of the funniest birthday cards ever.
16. hannunvaakuna Sent a library card: two people being romantic in the stacks, because books are sexy.
17. Our friends Wendy and Todd gave me a Magic Card, Springleaf Drum, as a reminder of the awesomeness of Rock Band.
18. punzel sent a postcard covered with cool stamps and colors and BUNNIES.
19. gieves cross stitched me a birthday card (and, in true artisan form, had to take it back to finish it), and with darlox managed to make it to the party even though they only got home one day earlier 20from volcano craziness.
20. snippy stitched me a robot on a card - sewing and scifi!
21. and 22. bec76 and zodarzone gave me playing cards with special messages written on them.
23. and 24. kilbia sent me two cards she'd created from the game 1000 Blank White Cards, Viking Chihuahuas and creating a character for an RPG that never happens - one with lots of points! A great tribute to my love of games.
25. Besides the still-awesome giant Hamster Dance card, hooloovooo and celticcowboy68 gave me a gorgeous World card that hooloovooo chose because the dress on the character reminded me of the flowy skirts I love to wear.
26. batshua sent me the Hermit card from the Ferret Deck, which she hand colored beautifully. I will always think of Ferrett when I see it.
27. dreagoddess sent a birthday card with beads on it, and an Ace of Spades from the Homicide Deck, which might seem strange but represents a law career.
28. and 29. larrythelabrat sent two cards: one that is a very simple game, "Whose Turn is It?" The card says it all, "It's my turn!" And the Party card from Fluxx. A perfect combination.
30. and 31. minitikwa sent an Ankh card and a handmade chrysalis card, a reminder of life and that I'm still growing and changing.
32. and 33. geekjul made me two bluebird cards, a nod to my journal.
34. wolflady26 and Wolfgang sent me the very special Friend of Hearts card. It's only found the deck of very dear friends.
35. suzieboz Sent a Twilight Zone card, "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet," which of course starred William Shatner.
36. My father in law sent a singing card celebrating youth.
37. susitna Sent me a Snoopy card that blows kisses from a mailbox. It's a reminder that even though she's far away, my daughter still loves me.
38. jeanniemac and Brent gave me the Athena card from Brent's Myth game, and the game as well.
39. through 52. butterandjelly and tychaios made me playing card leis to make sure that no matter what happened I would have a full deck.
I know there is at least one more card on its way, so I will update when I receive any additional cards. You are all awesome, and once I have them all made into a display I will take pictures and post (so if anyone else is thinking of participating, please let me know - I don't mind that they are late; I'm playing with a full deck all year, after all!)
Thanks to all of you!!!